Monday 23 August 2010

Newsletter

Working as a Public Service Interpreter can be challenging.

The other day I had to attend a home visit to an Italian couple who had just had a baby.

Health Visitor: Your baby has sickle cell trait

What the fuck is sickle cell trait? gotta be some kind of blood disorder, trait? is it like trace? like he is carrying the disease rather than actually having it? I glance at the leaflet the health visitor has in her lap and I pick up the latin name for it, Haemoglobin blah, blah, blah and manage to sound convincing when I tell the family, Italians of Bangladeshi origins - thank God - that: "your son carries the gene of Haemoglobin in his blood.

Fortunately the Health Visitor went on to explain exactly what it was or all the poor family would have been aware of is that their child had blood running through his veins!

I trained for the English Law Option, darn it, not to talk about diarrhoea and milk formulas! Where are the Mafia guys I have to translate for at the Old Baily? Where's Marlon Brando?

Anyway, I started work at 9:30 and was done at 10:37 making what most people make in two days, can't complain.

I went to see the new flick with Leonardo DiCaprio, Inception. Total shit. All about living in a reality vs a dream world, the subconscious, planting ideas into it...please! If someone forces me to watch it again I will confess to any crime just to have them shut it off. At the end we are left wondering if we are actually finally in the real world or still in the dream one.
A sequel? Shoot me!

I love you, I love you, I love you. We use this word so easily. Love is about the pleasure of giving without personal gain, without an agenda. It is the ultimate unconditional, selfless expression of one's being. Are you still sure you love me or did you just mean you'd like to get into my....

On TV last night:
"You went to bed with.....?"
"I had to, she's a sex addict".
"She must be!"

Turning down jobs that are badly paid is bliss. People think the right thing to do is to take on board anything that is on offer because there are always opportunities that one may otherwise miss. I think it's selling oneself short. I wouldn't go out with a guy I didn't fancy just because it was on the offering thinking it's either this or nothing, would you?

Full moon in Pisces tomorrow, seriously considering lobotomy, can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment